Ljubljana the heart of Slovenia in 1 day

Ljubljana is a capital and the biggest city in Slovenia. It’s one of the best European cities if you’re looking for a one day trip.

I was looking for something new capital city of Croatia – Zagreb to escape for one day and that’s not so far that I have enough time to explore it in one day. So, I looked at the map, I wanted to go out of my homeland Croatia, I have been so many times in Italy, so I needed the change. My decision was Ljubljana, it was the closest one and one of those that I didn’t visit in that time.

Of course one day is enough to explore the city and around, if you want to check out the museums you need at least 2 or 3 days.

Perfect for one day trip!

20160622_115657

When you mention Slovenia to someone, the most recognized there are Ljubljana and lakes Bled and Bohinj. So, this time I decided to give a chance to Ljubljana. Bled and Bohinj will wait for better days! 🙂

So, I told my best friend about my idea and it didn’t took so long to her to say YES – exactly it took her only 2 minutes – the best travel buddies are just that ones like she is! We decided to go alone, just to catch a bus and explore the city on our own. I dare to say it was some kind unplanned.

The city centre

The city’s streets are centralised by the Ljubljana River, they remind me a little bit on Zagreb, and surprisingly accessible for a capital city. There you can’t be lost. Like you always go in a circle – you find yourself in the centre again. We set off to reach the triple bridge (Tromostovje) designed by Joze Plecnik, the unusually built Tromostovje consists of three separate bridges linking Preseren square to the other side of the river and it’s also the tourist centre.

20160622_090215

The Triple bridge, as the name suggests, is a group of three bridges across the Ljubljanica River. This pedestrian bridge is an idea of an architect who didn’t want to destroy the old bridge, but needed to enlarge it. The area around it is the heart of the city.

IMG-20180225-WA0026

The Dragon bridge

The most popular attraction there is the Dragon bridge (Zmajski most), you pass it and find yourself in the Open Market, side streets and love look bridge.

20160622_092855

20160622_090954

Ljubljana has a lot of legends talking about dragons. One of my favourite attractions there. They said the dragons represent strength and courage.

20160622_091131

20160622_090218

Restavracija Neboticnik

After a few hours of walk around the centre we decided to reach the rooftop bar at Restavracija Neboticnik and secure ourselves a wonderful overlooking Ljubljana castle with a cup of coffee.

20160622_103044

There you can take a look on a Ljubljana castle has a lovely view on the whole city. Walking around the castle is free, the price to enter the museum is 7,5€. But you can save 10% if you buy your ticket online – here.

20160622_09463820160622_101735

20160622_101740

The castle is located on the hill, you can go up there by walking about 30 minutes or take a funicular.

20160622_094803

20160622_101529

It’s time to move on. We had a great view, even better coffee but it’s time to move on. We wanted to take another walk through center before we left.

The center has something, it keeps you in his arms and you feel so good there.

We found our spot near the river, just enjoying in the nature around us.

20160622_092006

20160622_171901

20160622_114231

20160622_103034

Where to eat?

My recommendation is a restaurant looking on St. Stjepan church – Sokol. There you’ll have the best onion soup in Ljubljana – for sure.

IMG-20180225-WA0024

Trust me, Ljubljana is one of those cities – must see!

IMG-20180225-WA0025

IMG-20180225-WA0022

Just magical. 🙂

32 thoughts on “Ljubljana the heart of Slovenia in 1 day

1. jusztravel says:

I wonder where the fascination for dragons came from? It’s interesting how different countries have different beliefs in creatures like that. Like gnomes in Norway, leprechauns in Ireland, and elves in Iceland!

Liked by 1 person

2. Medha Verma says:

I agree with you, Ljubljana makes for a fantastic day trip. I spent 3 days in Slovenia last year, of which 2 were in Ljubljana and 1 in Lake Bled & Bohinj. I loved the city centre, the river-side restaurants, the dragon bridge and the vibe was so amazing! I don’t remember checking out the rooftop bar at Restavracija Neboticnik but that’s a great suggestion – thanks!

Liked by 1 person

3. Followingtherivera says:

Ljubljana is on my list of places to see this year! It looks so historical and something magical about it too. It’d be great for a day trip to Bled and other places too. Lovely photos as well!

Liked by 1 person

4. Alexander Popkov says:

I would love to go to Slovenia. I have recently heard so many nice things about that. How are the locals there? Are they easy to talk to foreigners? Speak English?

Liked by 1 person

5. shreyasaha1987 says:

I do not come across many blogs on Ljubljana. Loved knowing about this small capital center. Dragon bridge is so cute. Did you take the funicular to the palace or preferred walking? What is preferable?

Liked by 1 person

1. traveloptician says:

Thank you! 🙂 In my opinion – I prefer walking if I have enough time, so this time we were also walking and the weather was really nice, I love to enjoy the nature and the city, I don’t want to become a classic tourist who just jump into the funicular to get to the top as soon as possible, take pictures and go – I want to enjoy the true spirit of the place where I am.

6. Eric Gamble says:

I will admit that if you had asked me where Ljubljana was I wouldnt have had a clue. But what a beautiful city. I love the Dragons protecting the dragon bridge and the whole city center looks amazing. Darcee & I left love locks in Cologne, Germany but I would definitely leave another one there!
    As for the Onion soup served in a bread bowl….YES! That looks so good. This is definitely getting added to my bucket list!

Liked by 1 person

1. traveloptician says:

It’s really beautiful and it’s never too late to learn about new cities and destinations 🙂
      I think you should leave one here too, this city has something! I hope you’ll reach it soon – and about the soup – it’s amazing!